Tuesday, July 10, 2012

More Children

P1020282Here is my house most days.  The children all know I have books and they will come and read.  The treat the books nice but the hands…..When they come to the door is sounds like booo ks.  Pick your boooo ks. 

 

P1020507                                                    P1020508

Caught these boys walking down the street in Bolga.  They were thrilled to have their picture taken even though they did not understand I thought their toys were awesome.  These are motor oil cans, tomatoes sauce cans, put together to make a pull toy car.  Wonderful!!!

 

P1020477I have to read all the shirts I come across.  They are from all over the world.  There is a cart that is pulled through the market stacked high with clothes.  You dig through and find things for 25 peswas sometimes 50 peswas.  Have not idea where he got this but Emirates Airline clothing is everywhere.  Saw a Nebraska T-Shirt for an event at the University but they spelt Nebraska wrong so I guess they were sent here. 

 

P1020498Mommy is weaving at the Craft Center so I am laid down on a mat on the floor to sleep.  Before long he has company 4 ladies crawled on the mat and they all slept until it was time to go pay respects to family that had lost someone.  I can’t not believe the places they sleep, mats anywhere, benches, chairs I just could not actually go to sleep.

 

PROUD DADDY’S

P1020476                                                                         P1020327

                                        

  At Basket Weaver Ceremony                                                                                                    Under tree at the Clinic

4 comments:

  1. When I lived in Bolga eons ago, Ghanaians used to call those clothes from everywhere bruni wawu, dead white's man clothes. I remember seeing cub scout shirts from the mid-west still with badges on the shoulders.

    I served in Bolga from 1969-1971 at what was Women's Training College. Its buildings are now part of the Girls' Secondary School. When I went back last summer for the first time in 40 years, I found my house looking far worse for wear, but it still flooded my mind with memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barnara,
    I was there last summer for the 50th, saw the celebration of the swearing in at the ambassador's house and spent five days of my two weeks in Bolga. I am actually going over again in August for a month.

    It was so wonderful last summer, and I was lucky when a student from 40 years ago recognized me when I was at dinner. I met six of them in Bolga and we were together the whole days.

    This time I am being met by a former student and am staying in her village!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! 13 volunteers in Bolga alone! In the Upper Region back then (no east or west) there were nine of us: 3 in Bolga, 2 in Navrongo, 2 in Bawku and 2 in Tumu.

    I knew before I left staging where I was going and where I was teaching. We were the first group placed in our posts because of the isolation back then, but I loved Bolga and thought the distance from PC Accra was a blessing.

    I'll let you know when I arrive-it should be somewhere near the 26th or 27th of August. Is there anything you'd like me to bring you? Velveeta? Sauces? I know what it felt like to get those wonderful packages so I'll be happy to tote some goodies.

    I have a phone I bought last year which I'll charge when I get to Ghana. Do you have a phone number? I definitely want to meet all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I used the familiar in saying Ouga, but it is really Ougadougou which was a great city for a getaway. It had wonderful restaurants and hotels with air conditioning. I hope to go there from Bolga and already have my visa.

    The wine was in bottles, any former French colony was always awash with wine. It was the same in Togo; Lome was a hot spot for Ghanaian volunteers as it was a quick bus trip. In those days most countries, including Ghana, had Peace Corps hostels which were cheap places to stay. Lome had a great one.

    I know there were problems in Bawku, but I went there last summer anyway. It was where I had what was called a live-in ( your home-stay) as part of our training. I stayed with a family there for three weeks (they all spoke Hausa which is what I learned).

    We were the first volunteers trained in Ghana, and our training was all over the country. I can see the bare bones of our training in yours.

    I am looking forward to sharing my "war stories" of Peace Corps Ghana. I still find it difficult to believe it has been so long. Ghana, Bolga and the Peace Corps were quite different from 1969-1971.

    ReplyDelete