Monday, February 6, 2012

Visit to Deaf School

We had to take a taxi to deaf school which was a long walk from the Oasis.  Dennis and I decided it was to hot to walk 5km into town or even 4 km to the school so we elected to call for a car.  Two others decided to stay with us and the lady at Oasis called for a car.  He tried to play a game with us asking us a crazy amt but the lady helped us and we got him down, still to high but apparently he drove in from Bolga because he was not in the area.
The deaf school was so much fun.  When the taxi pulled through the gates the kids came running.  They grabbed our bags and would not let us carry anything.  Then as a second thought they asked who we were there to see.  I was spelling her name when one of the girls remember she had shown her how to sign her name.  When they knew it was Lauren they took off again just so excited to see so many white people at one time 4 of us at that time.  When they found out Lauren was in town buying chop they went and got us a bench so we would not have to stand and wait for her. 
You might be asking how do you know all this.  Well believe it or not some of the signing came back to me.  The kids were touching and saying things about our mats.  I signed to them it was for exercise.  They laughed and then wanted our names so I had to sign each name though I had to be reminded a few letters.  I thought why did I not learn sign language instead of Fra Fra I might be able to talk a fee fee amount more. Ha!!
Had a nice visit around campus they have their own garden, making a club for vocational type learning, beading, sewing, making shoes, etc. and a room where they were all watching TV.  These kids were so cute they all wanted to know our names so they made a sign for each of us as we told them our names, and they wanted us to know the sign for each of their names like I remember many of them Ha!!!
Such a fun time with them.  Then went right to Lauren’s room where they went away without making a fuss.
Here are a few pictures. 
P1010793They were showing us their names
P1010795Still in Ghana!!!
P1010796Oven being made for making of beads.  Yes, a clay oven.  Lauren in picture is the teacher.
P1010798Watching Tv on a Saturday afternoon.
Loved my time there.  Hoping I can tag onto Lauren’s club idea and get something started here in Nyariga.

1 comment:

  1. Wow..I finally found something I could do with all my years working with the deaf! I am amazed to see that they actually have a deaf school there in Ghana. Has me wondering.......Why? I wonder if the causes, for the children's deafness, where from childhood diseases or some other factors? Unfortunately I don't think, know, I could not do what you're doing. I'm too spoiled and comfortable!
    Rich B

    ReplyDelete