Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Why I am here!!!

I have been here 9 months-time goes so fast even when things are slow.  Does that make sense???

The 4th of July I will start saying I have 18 months left.  But after being with PCV's and talking it is amazing how many want to do more and extend another year.  I can not see that happening but it gives you hope that something will be perfect and I will do something.  Every PCV has a story how things started to work and you have all new hope.

But I have had family questioning that I have done nothing.  So here is the 3 goals of PC and I will let you know what I have contributed.

1.  To help the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.

This is my constant job that I have not found yet but...I have helped a lady get books for her business because she wants a loan.  I have helped with networking of Ghanaians and exporters in America.  I have sold baskets for both of the craft centers to other PCV's especially those leaving and the Mali group that had to be evacuated.  We are going to help and woman that is American born in Ghana make her dream at Wildwin Resorts with marketing ideas, ways to do things on her site and make that dream come true.

2.  To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the people served.

I talk with anyone that asks me to.  We exchange differences of American and Ghana.  They ask me questions of what they "heard" about America.  Like is Obama really running and is letting same sex marry each other?. Is it true that all children have to leave the family home with they are 18?

3.  To help  promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.

This I do with my blogs, emails and pictures.  There are things you all know now that you did not in the beginning and I have answered many of your questions.

So I am "doing" things but we are so used to jumping into something and getting it done.  That is not possible in Ghana - they have their own time. 

Also Ghana does not take to any change fast if ever so it is very slow.

I hope this answers a few questions but if you have more I will be more than happy to answer and help you understand this culture.  Thanks for taking time to read.  Barbara

No comments:

Post a Comment