Friday, November 25, 2011

Cashew Seminar

I have been in Techiman learning about the Cashew Production, Associations and business practices for the last 2 days.  There are a number of PC Volunteers that have started this program and wanting to expand.  This is the only PC program that they have found the sites and went in to help instead of communities asking for the PC to come in.  It has been very interesting and exciting to think a few Volunteers saw a need and an opportunity and started working on it with the PC goals leading the way.  These are young men and women that are working to set Cashew to be a BIG player in the product they can compete with other countries around world.  Did you know India was the largest producer and importer of cashew?  Me neither I said Brazil.

We have done some basic bookkeeping and record keeping with how many yams large and small one you bought sold sent out on credit and was paid for.  So simple but something you never think of how to do it.  Kept my examples so I can see if I can simplify any more Ha!! Simplicity is calling my name when it comes to teaching it to someone!!!

We went to a Cashew association that handles a number of farmers association then went to see a small association that handles just local farmers.  Cashew season starts in Jan – March so maybe I will have one or two that has not been shipped around the world before I get to taste it.  Did you know that US consumption has declined in the last year ?  Me either I know I kept eating them.

After a long day came and purchased a glass of wine and brought to our room and enjoyed it with the walnuts that Barbara P sent to me – way good!.  We went to eat spaghetti ( NOT RICE) and chicken and had a nice conversation with a fellow trainee and a volunteer.  Have some not feeling to good so may not be a very pleasant trip to Bolgatanga tomorrow.  Just hope my luck holds out a little longer and get this traveling out of the way.  I have a little cold but that I can handle the “running” does not sound like fun.

Will be a very long trip tomorrow 9 hrs I am thinking so probably will write about it before I send the post.  Take care, thinking of you all on this day My Grandson’s birthday and he would not even talk to me – had to catch the bus!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment