Thursday, January 5, 2012

Another day Learning about my Job

P1010569Here I am washing my lunch dishes in the front yard. Had last of blackeyed peas and rice, with  a salad –cabbage, tomatoes, green peppers (for some reason I can eat them here), carrots, and onions.

 

P1010577My friend Clements invited me to the big soccer game this morning.  On the way I ran into a number of donkey’s even a very hungry little one.

P1010579When I found a shady spot on the field I found all the seats taken-look on the branches of the trees so I stood for the 1st 1/2.

P1010583The young man in yellow shirt is Clement and is one that invited me with “ so sorry so late but could you come watch the game over there this morning?”.  Look at his feet he does not have shoes but that did not stop him running up and down the field, hitting with his head, or kicking that ball way down field.

Today after the 1st half of the game I found a ride to Zorko to go visit Dawn and see her town and meet and greet with her.  I found her under the trees with a group of people visiting.  I set and visited for awhile then we went to her house.  She said she was going to cook for us and we had a wonderful soup.  We did have two bowls but only one spoon so do we eat in shifts or

P1010585Dawn got the short straw and got the BIG spoon.  Good job Dawn.

After lunch we visited in town and then decided maybe I should start looking for a ride.  A taxi came by and I went to get in.  When I was the 7th in the car the driver said 2 cedis, I said no to much, he said 2 cedis so I got out of the cab.  We are talking about a 10-15 min ride down the road-it does not cost that much to get all the way to Bolga.  So we waited for a while and decided to start walking.  We walked all the way to Nyariga almost 2 hours.  We took a wrong road for where I live so an older guy got his bicycle and walked us to my house then road his bike back home.  I did buy him some pure water to say thank you.

Another day as a volunteer learning the ropes and greeting all those that I see.  Did learn a little about the area and where some of the basket weavers live.  Two ladies came out to street (they all seem to know when Salamer white people are in the area)  and knew exactly where I lived because they are weavers for my landlord.  Oh the small town life.

1 comment:

  1. Never thought about not having enough spoons to serve a couple of guests. We take so much for granted here. The reason peppers taste better there is probably the soil they are grown in makes them taste better to you. Also, the blend of foods and spices are different. I have found that I can eat different things in different places, also.....Interesting!!

    ReplyDelete