Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Day in the Life

This am started as usual, cup of tea, checking email, facebook, washing a few clothes, and today waiting to hear from my Counterpart when we would be going to Bolgatanga to visit some gov’t offices, assembly people Etc. I was not given the list of people so I was just going to “ meet” my main job for a few months.  He came over at 9:30 to let me know since yesterday was a holiday no one was in office or they were to busy today so we would do later in the week, BUT tomorrow he would make appts., to see the chief and another local dignitary for tomorrow.  We shall see.

Since it was mkgt. day in my town and I had never been I wanted to see if I could save a trip into Bolga.  Well NO, there was no vegetable I  knew (there was a beautiful green that they called what sounded like bitter green but they could only tell me to make a stew – asked if it was like spinach but got no explanation so I will keep hunting because it looked like it could have lots of good vitamins Etc. in it.

So I walked back to the Craft shop and told them I would come and go because I needed to go to Bolga.  I did greet everyone and tried to remember names, got lots of laughs and left.

Got things I needed and walked to the junction to wait for a cab.  Dawn texted and wanted to know if I was going in and said she had already been waiting for a cab 1 hrs.  I was so excited to see a cab at the junction and we only needed 2 more people so we could leave with yes 7 people in a 5 person car w/out any rear lights and I could see through the door frame of the driver plus his seat was at a 45 degree angle.  BUT I was on my way to Bolga.

No one answered my texts as to being in town so I went through my errands trying to set up my house, sealed containers, colander, cutting board real fun stuff.  Still no answer to my text so I walked by the banks and the local watering hole for “white” people but no luck.  So I was getting excited about a piece of meat for lunch so I got my chick en leg = see attached.  Rob, Brittany and Dawn were in the food mkgt. area so I joined them.  Got all kinds of veggies, even got 6 eggs for 1 Gh cedis 80 pesewas.  No eggs in my village but plenty of chickens – I guess they all turn into chicks.

Dawn headed for the bank so I finished up and headed for the tros tros.  When I walked up an old gentlemen hollered “Oh my Nyariga friend, Welcome”  It was so sweet.  He said wait and he tried to get me on but the tros tros was full.  He said no problem you wait for another car I get you on in front.  I just laughed and said okay.  He then proceeded to get me to talk Fra Fra With him.  He introduced me to everyone that came by and had me practice.  It was so funny, because he would laugh every time I said something.  I called Dawn but she was still in line (have I mentioned how much we hate banking in Ghana?) so I told him to save her one in the next tros tros.  Of course we had to wait for the top to be loaded with beer-the top was lined with the plastic containers with bottles in them so I knew we would not crash this time because they would have died rather than let even one bottle break.

I told my driver I would alight in Nyariga and he asked me if I lived with Tie hero (my spelling and pronunciation).  When I said yes and asked how he knew.  He said a new volunteer was living with him and he figured I was the one.  He does not live in my town.  Anyway, when I got out and went around the vehicle two little boys were running as fast as they could to fight over my bags to carry them for me.  One was very heavy but they insisted they could handle it.  These are the same boys who CAN NOT carry my water, because boys don’t do that.

When I came into my room they stopped by the door and set everything down and said they would play the game and come out when I could.  So I put what I had to up then went to watch them play.  They will all be in school next week and I will miss all their Fra Fra- English help. 

While fetching water a young man came up to get his water.  He is a teacher here and introduced himself.  He told me where he lives across the field from me, and said I could come get him anytime I needed help with my English.  I told him I was thinking about a tutor – maybe someone who needed to practice their English.  He said school starts next week and he will think if there is a child that could help me.  Today while waiting for my ride home he came over and smiled and asked if I knew him.  I said yes not his name but that he was a teacher.  He smiled ear to ear and said he had to get back on tros tros because he was going on it.

Have I told you how nice everyone is??  They take an interest in everything that is going on around them and want to help.  My friend in Canada emailed me that she read that Ghana was the 5th happiest country in the world, Canada was 28th.  I can say that I have not problem with the statistic.  I have met a mother of 3 – one on her back the other two following her and she can speak very little English but she has decided I am her new friend and makes a point to stop by the house each time she comes for water to say hello with a great big smile on her face.  I will try to get a picture of her tomorrow.  It was to dark tonight.

Not sure what is next but with such nice people at least you don’t have to worry about that (unless you are banking and again I HATE BANKING IN GHANA!!!) and it is exciting to see who you will meet and talk to next.

Enjoy the pictures on the next blog because I am using my computer modem and it is not too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment