Sunday, October 23, 2011

From New Tafo Ghana Sunday

Just got back from the falls.  It felt so good to get out and sweat, breath hard and walk.  We have been sitting for almost a month in classes.  The falls were beautiful in a remote part of the country.  We were in  a little bit of a hilly area so we could see a long way across plantain fields trees and lots of green.

Yesterday we had a tech class on building a clay oven.  They did it at my home stay in the courtyard.  I did not get my hands into it but some had to push a stick into the clay that was dug  up from the side of the house to get it mixed together with water.  They then built the oven with a hole for the smoke and the front open just enough to put in the sticks and a pot to fit on it exactly.  The PCT made clay heads and put it in the front but when we left my "mom" took the faces off because it was scary.  They were frighten by the look of the heads so they did not want them on there.

Ran, one of the trainees in my class came over to help with language for awhile.  Dawn, came over  the night before to help me.  We did an exercise yesterday where we tried to pass into another country at the border from Ghana and had to answer his questions using Gurune only.  I would go a little way then had to talk myself through in English.  OH MY.  I have a blog written about it on my USB but I have to save it differently because this machine does not reconize Microsoft 2010 imagine that!!! so after class tomorrow I will bring my computer in to get it done and send another post.

My family lost the brother son etc 3 months ago but they buried him yesterday and family and friends came ALL dressed up to visit..  It start at 6 am yesterday - then I went to class - and more came last night to more visits.
It started again at 6 am and the Grandma was so sad.  there were so many people and I had to catch a taxi at 7 am so I left with my lunch.The dress is beautiful to see.  White and black or red and black is what they wear.  There is another service in 2 weeks but I will be traveling so I will miss that then the finally celebration is Dec 16 and I leave for site on the 15th.

We are still working on my site since it does not have electricity.  I am going to check out the conditions in two weeks and if it won't work PC said my contact will help me house hunt.  Should be an exciting .  then I will have 3 months to get into the town starting in Dec.  I am excited about the group I will be working with.  I will write another blog about what I know.

Another week of 6 hrs of language a day and 2 hrs of tech then we leave on our Month trip next sunday.  Everyone says at night we will have language sessions so we won't forget while we travel.

Typing on the internet cafe computer my  hands are sticky since I am so hot that is the reason not always typed right.  Stay patient with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment