Sunday, October 23, 2011

To Ans Questions

To answer a few questions
Lisa is getting questions from all of you so I am going to try and answer a few for you.
1.        Yes the people are very sweet and they really do want to help you with your language, if you are lost, or if you want information.  They NEVER refuse you even if they are working.
2.       Yes they brush their teeth and they are beautiful.  If they had corrective dentistry like we do they would be unbelievable.  Part of that is the contract between the skin and teeth.
3.       Speaking of skin the children here holler obruniobruni and we stop and say no my name is Barbara.  Sometimes they will try to say it with you.  But they all want to touch our white skin, get a hug, or talk to you.  They will walk me to the taxi stand in the morning asking me questions or just laughing as we go.  These are little ones standing on their porch to the ones on their way to school in their uniforms.
4.       Yes I do take a bucket bath.  Each time I figure something else I can do different to make it more efficient since I also must wash my underwear at the same time because underwear cannot be in the regular wash nor can it be hung up in the courtyard.  Some PCV’s are complaining about itchy skin and it probably is the soap is not off the skin and now it has dried.  The water is so soft because they use rainwater that has run off into a container.  The last 4 nights baths have been freezing because we have had rain and the water is soooo cold.  But Robin my hair is doing beautifully with this water.
5.       Yes, I have an outhouse that is not the most thrilling thing to deal with.  It does not seem to stink as bad as port a potties do at home.  Jennifer, my homestay Mom, really keeps it clean so I have not had flies or spiders when I have gone in.  I have had two lizards that I had to shoo out before I would close the door.  I bought my toilet paper because they did not have any in the outhouse but I think they must bring it with them also when they come but I have never seen them. Thank goodness I have not had the stomach problems yet.  I am dreading using the outhouse in that shape.  About 5 PCV’s are “running” as their homestay Mom’s say and one guy was really sick but he is on the mend also.
6.       No I have a room but there is not a living room or kitchen in our compound.  They cook, clean dishes, chop wood, wash clothes, iron everything outside in the courtyard that is gravel or on the porch that has shelter on it.  When it is raining they go on this porch until it is over.  I stand on my porch and sometimes drag a chair over so I can eat outside because usually my room is so hot I have to wait until the night is cool.  They have a refrigerator and it has been nice for my ice to freeze for my ankle to have ice on it. 
7.       I can get phone mins., fruit, a doughnut type roll, cold water, in sachets, flip flops, toilet paper etc in the little stalls downtown on the main road.  One of the PCV’s Mom owns a stall so we try to visit her when we need something.
8.       Food is not as spicy as they told us OR they told our Mom’s to say calm with it until we get use to it.  I told my Mom I like fish and it is probably in at least one meal a day.  Fruit is not something they must buy often – does not seem that expensive-but PC has told them American’s like their fruit so I have had pineapple, banana, apple and watermelon.  Today one Mom sent for lunch a lunch pail full of watermelon and sent 5 oranges.  No real food.  But they send so much to us one of the boys that is “running” gave her some of his food and we shared some of her fruit.  Everyone Happy!!!!  They do not waste food so I have to be careful to put everything I want onto a plate and eat that then add if I want more because they take back my dishes and use what is left.  Remember these people a struggling to get by and have lived through an awful famine and fires in the 80’s and they all remember having NOTHING until the relief vehicles from the UN came by to give out food.
9.       The Houses are cinder block with a real cheap cement plaster (similar to homes in Mexico). I do have electricity one plug at the door for everything.  I bought a converter that will fit everything but my computer with its ground.  One of the guys said he would help me pull off the ground so it will fit.  I have a bed fitted with a net a table two chairs and a sm cabinet that has a mirror on it.  The small table (like a coffee table) is where my fan is-I eat there, have my books there, and I put my feet up there when I study.  The floor is linoleum fairly new that is laid not glued down. It was very clean when I got here but I have trouble keeping the dirt out.  She had me buy “slippers” (flipflops) but I forget and wear my shoes in or wear the flip flops when I walk in and the floor is sandy.  I have a stick broom I will get you a picture that I sweep the floor.  They use the same type of broom in the courtyard where they sweep the dirt every day to keep it looking clean.
10.   I have a yard full of chickens, goats, ducks with babies.  The goats are all about the size of Erika’s yorkie.  The old Grandma, in her 80’s, I guess spends her day yelling at them to get away from the dishes, or pots and pans.  They love to get close to fire when something is cooking.  They are always shooooed out of the garden one little boy about Justin’s age shooed one with a machete! You can imagine what I asked.  This same little boy before he goes to school starts a fire, fans it  and cooks his and his sister breakfast in the pan so they could eat before they leave. My stayhome Mom is up most mornings by 4:30 am getting things going.  Her sister chops wood for the two or three fires they use for cooking, washes clothes or dishes, peels and chops so she can make fufu or vegetables she brings back from her farm that she goes to each Sat. to work.  On top of that she worries about me.  Do I need water to wash my hands? What do I want to eat? Do I need to send a lunch with you?  When will you be back home tonight? See a MOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment