Saturday, December 24, 2011

On my Way to Site

Left Wednesday afternoon for Site.  The Guard at the Kukurantumi office and my language teacher walked me down to the intersection to catch a tros tros.  Got very lucky and one was almost there at once.  They called it down and got me on my way.  All the a/c vehicles and the last bus had left for Kumasi so I piled all my stuff into another tros tros.  Got to the station found a van like taxi to take me to Peace Corps office.  I got out on the side of the road and could not figure out where to go plus could not carry all my stuff.  Called Mikey the PVCL at Kumasi Satellite Office.  The guard and Mikey came and got me off the side of the road Ha!!!

There were about 5 PCV’s there on their way somewhere or passing through going back to their sites.  A couple of guys were going to get hair cuts and were nice enough to bring me back some rice and chicken.  We played on the computer and talked then I was more than ready for bed.  (Getting up at 5 by 9 my pillow is screaming for me).  Mikey suggested I stay another day because 2 other Vol. were headed to Tamale and could help me with my stuff on Friday.  They were willing and I was not about to pass up help.

We left the KSO at 6 am got a taxi to the station and it went down hill from there.  The station had been moved and we had to get help to find the new place.  Of course you will be shocked to hear it was clear on the other side of the market.  Even at 6:30 am the market was crammed full of people.  With all my luggage we started walking.  We walked until our arms were about to give out and I got a young girl for a cedis to carry my two big Gucci bags (no they are not what you are thinking I will have pics at the bottom).  We finally got to where we were going with the bags only being knocked off her head once right into a ladies vegetable stand.  We got out of there fast she was not happy with us.

When we started looking for a “fast” van that had a/c we were told they were all gone.  Figures, so we pile  onto a tros tros for our 6-7 hours trip.  Three of the bags went on top of the tros, one went under my uneven seat and my backpack on the floor in front of my feet.  Here we go.  Not to hot, not to dusty trip to Techiman no problems.

Then the tros broke down the radiator and a belt – we stood in the shade waiting for it to be fixed.  Back we pile on till a policeman sitting on the side of the road flags us down.  Driver get out has a conversation and off we go.  We get to next town and he pulls in to get a “new” tire.  Now my inexperience eye knows little about tires but I could not tell much difference between the tire that went off and the one that went one.

We were off again.  The road was awful lots of pot holes and driver dodged as best he could and I was watching the road because I knew between my bent seat and a bad bump my back would not be out gears – the transmission went.  We then had to find other transportation for the last 15 km into Tamale.

We got a taxi but he would only go so far.  Found another taxi that took us to station.  Then after LOTS of help from a wonderful man he got us a taxi to get us to TSO.  I was so tired that I think I was in bed before 9.  I got to see PCV’s I had met before and met lots of new PCV’s.  It was great seeing all these wonderful young people.  They have so much excitement for what they are doing and of course Christmas makes all that more fun.

The group here has invited me to stay for the weekend and I got permission from my supervisor.  I then called my counter part and told him it would be Monday.  I am still tired and very sore but I don’t think I could have forced myself to get on any kind of vehicle this morning.  They have been cooking and will cook again this morning for Christmas Dinner.  It all looks and smells so good.  Even have a fresh killed chicken that will be cooked today.   I will take pictures and share my meal with ya’ll.

I woke up to morning prayers there is a Mosque real close to the office and I could hear so I just got up.  Fixed me a cup of tea and washed my clothes since I am not sure If I will be able to get my luggage out of the office.  I want to repack and see if I can get it all in a smaller amt that maybe I can manage Monday and hopefully get all my stuff ‘Home”.  I have 5 boxes from home and am so excited to open them.  Now that I have to repack I will actually get to open them on Christmas Eve or Day.  So excited about that.

Enjoy the pictures

P1010502This is my bedroom my bed is on right and I have top bunk – the fan is right on me so I got to use a sheet cover loved it.  The picture is our bathroom one of two.  Real shower of course first bath gets warm water that is heated by sun but it is still a shower even with cool water.  Yes a flushing toilet!!!

P1010501P1010500P1010499P1010498P1010497This is the kitchen yes dirty dishes in the sink but remember they have been fixing for dinner tonight and of course last night they fixed dinner for themselves.  This is room next to kitchen with dishes, refrig, and the containers is our water that is being cleaned for us to drink.  I have one at my site also.  The kitchen is supplies with all kinds of kitchen needs pot pans knives etc  and the gas stove has been baking since yesterday all kinds of Christmas cookies.

1 comment:

  1. You will remember this Christmas, fondly I hope. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete