Monday, December 12, 2011

The Real Reasons

I was thinking today after talking to my sister that I have spend a LOT of time telling you stories, funny and sad,showing you pictures really funny and the way things are here, but I think in all this I have forgotten to remind you why I am here.

The People.  I can only tell you some stories and cultural beliefs to help you understand what I am doing here and hoping to be able to do.  This country is so diverse from the South to the North.  This diversity is not only in the landscape but the needs of the people.

The people I have met have been so welcoming and generous.  Lets start with my homestay family.  They have worked so hard to help me understand and experience their country.  They have also tried to help me go from an American with all my needs to a very simple life with just making it day by day.  The day I arrived they all came to help me get my mosquito net up around and tucked into my bed, they carried all my stuff in my room.  They have fed me as well as they can the way I like while trying to get me to get into Ghanaian food (that part did not work).  As far as I know I am there are only a couple of trainees that have not been “running” or sick.

When I come home they are in the court yard and always welcome me home and ask how I am.  They laugh at all my silly American ways especially when I try to explain how we do something different, not better just different.  Laughing at my attempts to wash my clothes while I whine wanting my washing machine.  They have made it easier when I got homesick by sincerely worrying about my ankle, how was class, and if I was “fine”.

You go through town and  the children are yelling Obruni Obruni wanting to touch you, want your name and sharing their name, walking with you not knowing how to ask but a few questions but if you are willing to talk they want to learn.  Playing games with the kids have been fun and they seem to love it.  The parents and elders you run into each morning going to the bus stop wanting to help you with your language.  They are so disappointed when I tell them I am learning a different language and can only speak English with them, although I try to get one of the twi people to talk to them for me.

The women and children all carry everything on their head.  Sometime the men when they are working in the fields.  But when we were in town getting a large bag full of water sachets maybe 30-50 sachets full of water, a little girl came over and told my homestay mom she would carry it for her.  The culture is built in so deep that children offer to help in everything without being ask or wanting an reward.  The children in my compound never know when I need something but are very willing to help.  The Grandmother who is very old and has a lot wrong with her has the children talking with her, running for her and taking care of needs without asking or immediately if she asks, even if they are in their rooms and she hollers for them.

When I went to site the ladies were so welcoming even though we could not communicate.  From dragging me in to dance, laughing, and clapping they were making sure I was enjoying myself.  Everyone in town wanted to meet the new person.  

Another example of how good the people are is there willingness to get involved.  When looking for a tros or bus or taxi and you look confused someone will always come up and ask if they can help.  They will then lead you to where you need to be.  If it is in another area they will point and tell you where to go (of course their directions and our directions leave a lot of possibilities of mistakes.)  Today we got to where our tros tros was and then a man came over ask if we wanted to go to New Tafo and when we said yes he walked us directly to the right one.  I have had a taxi driver (for a price) say he will go out of his way to make sure we are on the right bus.  If they try to take more money from us the whole bus will let you know he is trying to cheat you.  If you are at the market and the price the vendor wants is way to high or give you something you do not want they put their hand on their face to let you know he is trying to cheat you.  I have yet to experience these two bad examples but they say it happens.  When I got some information on Accra from my homestays son he told me please to call him and he will come to make sure we are on the right vehicle.  He was sincere in that he gave me all three of his phone numbers so I could reach him when I needed to. (They carry a phone from each phone company incase one company is not working well maybe one of the others will be Ha!!!)  He also warned me that there were bad people in Accra and to please watch my stuff and take care where I was. 

There are so many needs in this country yet the people smile and keep going some for $3.75 cedis a day (the average daily wage).  The children work and help out.  Many make things at home, popcorn, fried plantains, anything that might be sold and bring in a few peswas.  A good example my homestay.  The have a farm with plantains they work, they work then bring home to sell, she cooks at the school, she keeps me for Peace Corps and any other thing they can do to make money.   

So for the people I am here.  I hope to make a little difference somewhere.  I have helped a young girl set up her books for her new business.  It was very simple but she seemed to understand how important it would be in her future.  I have sat playing games with the children so they know I am Obruni but also a person that they can relate to.  When I get to site I have lots of options and hopefully something will lead me in the right direction.

So though I share all the strange and funny things that happen I want you to know that as much as I enjoy sharing that it is just not as easy to write about the people .  Maybe as I get into my work part my blogs will change a bit.

ON a side note the ladies I will be working with sell their straw bags through Whole Foods so if you are there perhaps you can take a look at them.  The name of the group is Nyariga Doone Mothers Club (the name of the town is Nyariga and it is killing me because I can not get the name down.  I have been advised to carry a card with me with the name of the town on it so I don’t end up in some other town.( I would probably do just that too!!!) I think it is Ny (knee) a (short a) ri (roll the r) and ga,  I just can not get from the short a to the ri-I want to do the ga first-think they should change the name of the town Ha!!!

So I will keep up the fun stuff but hopefully you will see something in my notes to let you know I am doing something besides laughing all day long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment